VE Day 75 anniversary celebrations
On May 8th 1945 Germany finally surrendered to the allied forces and, after six long years, peace in Europe was restored.
This year we commemorate 75 years since the end of World War II and, though we are all sadly unable to take to the streets as the nation did then, we encourage everyone to mark the anniversary with celebrations at home and join us at 11am in a moment of remembrance.
VE Day 75 programme of events:
- 11am – 2 minute doorstep silence
- 1pm – VE Day style picnic
- 2.45pm – Winston Churchill’s VE Day address broadcast & national toast
- 8pm – ‘VE Day 75: The People’s Celebration’ live on BBC / Captain Tom’s War on ITV
- 9pm – HRH The Queen’s VE Day speech followed by nationwide singalong with Dame Vera Lynn (download lyrics to ‘We’ll Meet Again’ here)
In advance of the anniversary Prep pupils have been busy with additional VE Day learning; creating bunting, baking cakes, cracking codes and finding out more about the conflict from relatives. View our VE Day 75 Facebook album.